Deans Lopez and Vincente: Working Hard To Make Osbourn a Better Place

Every student at Osbourn is assigned a dean. Mr. Lopez and Ms. Vincente work hard to make Osbourn High a better place where students can have the support they need. They work hard to increase on-time graduation rates and to help students fix their attendance and tardiness issues.

Dean Juan Lopez’ case load is all students with last names A-LOP.

Mr. Lopez is an administrator that takes care of discipline, takes care of attendance, and takes care of grades. “If a student is struggling we find ways to help the students,” said Mr. Lopez.

As administrators, deans have to go through training. “We have training at least 3 times a year. We call that PD (professional development),” explained Mr. Lopez. They also have to study hard for this position. Mr. Lopez earned an M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction and an M.A. in Administration K-12 at George Mason University.

Before becoming a dean, Mr. Lopez was a flight Attendant for United Airlines. He was also an ESOL teacher at Baldwin Elementary School before transferring to Osbourn as an administrator. He has been at OHS since 2012. He enjoys working with OHS students.

“I like to help students graduate and become good citizens,” Lopez stated.

“When I was in high school, there were very good moments, happy moments, and also some difficult moments.  I do understand what high school students go through,” he added.

Although Lopez loves his job, it is not always easy. “The most difficult part is to tell parents that their kids are skipping or are not complying with the school’s expectations. Another difficult part is when I see students that have the potential to succeed, and I see them waste all their talent and drop out of school,” said Lopez.

Dean Wanda Vincente’s case load is all students with last names LOQ-Z.

The role of the dean is to track attendance and to make sure the students have the support they need academically to graduate. ”We work closely with administration, and counselors and we support teachers and their classrooms,” explained Ms. Vincente.

The education Ms. Vincente had to go through included M.Ed. from Kaplan University and a Graduate Certificate in K-12 Educational Leadership from Kaplan University. ” I have a 4-year college degree in business. I got my master’s in education and an educational leadership certificate,” stated Mrs. Vincente.

Ms. Vincente began her teaching career in New York in the early 90s. She worked as a middle school Spanish teacher for 8 years with the NYC Public School System. Afterward, she transferred to work for a private all-girls academy. In 2006 she relocated to Virginia. Her first teaching job was for Minnieland Academy. She taught and also was the afternoon supervisor. Shortly thereafter, she was promoted to assistant director. She did that for a year and a half, then she was hired to work with Fairfax County Schools as a Spanish teacher for 7 years. In addition,  She also worked with Orange County Schools for 3 years as a Spanish Teacher and Department Chair. She also was the interim Assistant Principal for a year and the summer school Principal.

In 2016, she came to Manassas City Public Schools and began working as a Spanish teacher for 1 year and a half. That same year, the Dean of Students position became available in December, so she applied for it. In the middle of the year,  the school board approved her as the new Dean of Students.

Her motivation is the students and making sure they have an appreciation for education. She became a dean because she wanted to become their voice.

”I want the students to understand that they are in a country where they can do whatever they want to do,” stated Ms. Vincente

Growing up, she was raised in New York and went to Catholic school from 1st to 10th grade. She went to Walton High School for her last 2 years of school. ”Going to a public school was different; I was in a different environment going from a girls-only private school to a public school.”

During her high school life, she took college-prep classes. She also participated in activities such as softball, volleyball, student government, and Spanish club. Curious if she ever skipped her classes?  “The only time I skipped was for senior skip day,’’ claimed Ms. Vincente.

Being an administrator is not an easy job and is full of challenging moments.” The most challenging is when students become 18 and they become frustrated, so they lose their motivation and want to drop out,’’ said Mrs. Vincente.

Let us know what teachers or administrators you would like us to cover next in the comments!