Astrology: Is It Really in the Stars?

Wikimedia Commons

The zodiac wheel, starting from the first sign, Aries.

Many people are fine going about their lives the way they are used to. They don’t want to believe anything else because they don’t have to. Other people, like myself, are curious to find out what other people believe. They are curious to see different opinions, cultures, and beliefs. 

Why many people aren’t able to do this is because they aren’t able to look past the pride they hold in keeping their current belief system. They are stubborn and believe nothing could possibly be right other than their own beliefs and opinions. While it does take some sense of humility to look into and explore the many things that are out there, some people are simply afraid. They are afraid that they might find something better or more believable than their own belief system, so they decide not to investigate. More so, they are afraid of what their closest friends and family will think of them if they go against something that has been a common value in their circle for a long time.

Recently, I have decided to throw myself out beyond the beliefs I was raised so profoundly upon. I have found what many would condemn as strange superstitions.  Most specifically, zodiac signs. 

How could the stars possibly decide what and who we are? What about that makes sense? Well, as someone who already believes in God, I combine the idea of the stars with God’s creation. As odd as it may sound, I believe that sometime long ago, as astrology has existed for thousands of years, that some entity spilled the beans about how people are created to some ancient civilizations. What about that isn’t only theoretical and has no immediate and absolute proof? Nothing. However, I don’t need proof. It’s just a belief. It’s no different from believing in God, believing in evolution, or any kind of higher power. 

So, if you think you are interested in knowing more about astrology, your own personality, and your future, keep reading. If not, turn away, keep your dignity, and stay above such silly ideas. 

Well, you’re still here, so let’s get started. The first thing that you need to know, and something that most people already know, is your sun sign, the first of the big three (of which there are 1,728 possible combinations). 

Most people at Osbourn already know their sun sign, but stay somewhat skeptical. “My sun sign is Scorpio. I would relate to most of the qualities of a Scorpio, aside from being a leader,” said Tristan Peterson, a sophomore. “I’m an Aries. I feel like I can relate to it. I just think people can take it too far when they use it to excuse them for being a jerk,” is the opinion of Selena Lopez, a freshman. Irving Aguilera, a senior, also has an opinion on the topic. “I don’t think that it’s real. What’s weird is I’m a Virgo and everyone I associate with is usually a Virgo, too,” he stated. 

Before getting into more about astrology, you first need to know about the signs themselves (I’m doing this for the people who don’t know what they are, which is hopefully the minority). 

According to the book The Art of Astrology: A Practical Guide To Reading Your Horoscope, by Anna Southgate (referenced throughout this article; you can find it in our library if you are interested), there are four elements in astrology. Fire is the positive masculine element, earth is the negative masculine element, air is the positive feminine element, and water is the negative feminine element. 

The fire signs are Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, which are considered extreme extroverts. These signs are domineering, very excitable, and tend to live life to the fullest, often recklessly. They are deemed the hottest signs (quite fittingly) and fall in the 1st, 5th, and 9th slots of the zodiac wheel. 

The earth signs are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. Many people consider them to be the least interesting signs of the zodiac, but they are quite stable and very hard workers. They tend to have an “every man for themselves” type of attitude and stay more introverted. They fall in the 2nd, 6th, and 10th slots of the zodiac. 

The air signs are Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. These signs tend to be sociable and often come off as flirty. If your friend is the popular girl who seems to know everybody, they’re probably an air sign rising. Although friendly, they can gravitate towards being too gossipy. They are the 3rd, 7th, and 11th signs of the zodiac.

The final element is water, which composes the Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces signs. These three are sensitive and take things very deeply. They experience the world in a different kind of way because they are so aware of themselves and their surroundings. They are very intuitive but can have an overly emotional and dramatic nature. They are the 4th, 8th, and 12th signs of the zodiac wheel.

Okay, now that you know what the signs are with their general nature and element, let’s get into the big three, which I mentioned before.

“I’m a Gemini! I’m Scorpio! I’m a Capricorn! I’m Aries!” people scream out when sharing the little they know about astrology. Most people know their sun signs, and most people consider these as what represents them, and how they present themselves and want to know if what other people think about them matches their sun sign. 

What people don’t know is that they shouldn’t be sharing their sun sign as the thing that represents them. What represents you in public is your rising sign. Your rising sign, or ascendant, is what other people think about you. Your reputation. If you look at horoscopes, this is also the sign you should be using, NOT your sun sign.

My sun sign is Aries, but my rising sign is Leo. Although Leo and Aries are both fire signs with much intensity, they are actually quite different. When I’m in public I tend to be a bit of a show-off, and yes, I do admit, I present myself with a big ego. I wear bright colors in public, love performing and public speaking, and am what some people would call an attention seeker. 

Are you starting to get the picture? Maybe why people said “I don’t really see you as a Taurus,” or “You’re a Libra!? Really?” is because that’s not how you present yourself in a public setting. 

Some students didn’t know that rising signs existed. “I’m a Sagittarius. The qualities of a Sagittarius is how I feel sometimes, it’s just not how I act,” sophomore Patrick Massay said. Another student, Veronica Guevara, knows her big three. “I feel like I do relate to my own sign, but it doesn’t really define who I am. I’m a Leo rising and a Cancer moon.” 

Many people already know how to find their sun sign just by putting the day they were born into one of those online astrological calculators. The reason why many people don’t know their rising sign is that it’s much harder to find. You must know the exact time that you were born. It’s the exact hour and minute, as well as the geographical location. 

The moon sign, the last of the big three, is how you process your emotions. It’s basically the sign that you may consider yourself to be the most similar to, whether you are or not. Your moon sign also represents your common behaviors at home. My moon sign is Aquarius, meaning I can often be detached from my emotions and enjoy alone time as much as I do being social. Not to brag, but it also gives me a sharp intellect, as Aquarius is considered the most genius sign of the zodiac.

Looking at the big three, we can divide them into two different segments of your astrological chart. Think of yourself as a solar system, a freeze-frame of our Milky Way galaxy at the time you were born. There are over infinite possible combinations for this exact picture, which makes you your unique and own person. The core, or sun sign (your true inner identity), is at the center of the solar system. Your Mercury sign (your style of communication) closely circles it and is often the same as your sun sign. The Venus sign (the way you love) encircles that, followed by the Mars sign (execution of ideas and desires), then the Jupiter (fortune and expansion) and Saturn (morality and authority) signs.

Generally speaking, your entire age group is going to have the same Neptune and Uranus signs (which represent inspiration, innovation, technology, rebellion, and the world of dreams) while Pluto (representing transformation and renewal) signs will determine an entire generation. Maybe that’s why our parents and grandparents are so different than we are. Pluto only orbits around the sun once every 248 years, and dividing that by twelve, means that it only crosses signs on average about once every twenty years, sometimes as long as thirty years. 

Many scientists believe they have debunked the whole constellation-determining-your-personality thing because of how the stars have moved and shifted over the last several thousand years since around the time that I believe the earth was created. While this is true, what people don’t understand is that astrology is more of a spiritual thing and less of a physical thing. Also, some stars are light years away, so it is as if their presence isn’t even valid for our existence. The bodies and placements of the stars just show us an idea of what is going on, not what will undoubtedly happen. That’s the idea of astrology. It’s not about complete reliance to determine your future, but rather about giving you an idea of what is to come and how you can use your strengths to your own advantage. 

Now you ask yourself, how did I come to believe in astrology? The simple answer is, it just makes sense. Everything I read about me in my birth chart, every house, every planet, every aspect, every degree, made perfect sense. Nothing was wrong. When there’s nothing wrong and no room for error, it’s very hard to deny something. Now tell me, could they really be trying to trick you because of the “well they just say that for every sign and horoscope, to make something relatable to everybody” thing, or is it an ancient belief system that has stood the test of time because there must be some truth to it? I’ll let you answer. 

*Editor’s note: Content regarding astrology and astrological signs reflects the thoughts and opinions of the writer and is meant solely for the purpose of entertainment.