CTE Students Attend 2022 VDOT Fair

“I was very excited and motivated about students participating in this career fair because when I was a student, these chances to learn about various career opportunities in this format were very rare,” said Mr. Godwin. 

As the school year starts, so have field trips and fairs. Recently on October 6th, the Annual Virginia Department of Transportation Career Fair was held at the Prince William County Fairgrounds. Some of our students from the CTE classes were invited to go.

“This event was the 17th Annual Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Career Fair. It is an annual event hosted at the Prince William County Fairgrounds where students come to learn and explore careers in the engineering, technology, concrete, construction, architecture, and environmental services industries,” said sponsor and work-based learning specialist, Mr. Godwin.

This fair was a great opportunity for high school students. It allowed students to start thinking about what they would want to do after high school.

These efforts did not go to waste, and many of the students who went to the fair started getting inspiration for their future careers.

“After the fair, I started thinking about careers, and I think I might go into a career I saw there,” said freshmen Ashley Fabian Flores.

The fair also gave high schoolers an opportunity to talk to representatives of different jobs from many different backgrounds. Professionals like contractors, military officers, and asphalt laborers had stations set up all throughout the area. Many of them shared their setbacks and stories with the high schoolers. 

“Originally I wanted to be a teacher or coach of football, but that didn’t work out because I didn’t get financial aid. I knew that any military force would help with college, so I decided to join the Air Force and just ended up staying,” said Air Force Boom Operator Manoel Robison. 

Along with information like salary and qualifications, another part of the fair included representatives sharing their routines and giving students a look into their daily lives.

“I’m a planner, so I start my day by planning out the routes that the pilots need. After I plan everything I teach the interns since I am also an instructor,” said Manoel Robison. 

Even though everyone at the fair seemed to have their lives figured out, they all started out somewhere. Life is unpredictable, and many people at the fair did not think they would end up in the careers they are in now. Their paths may have been built from inspiration, coincidence, or even hardships.

“I started working at MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) because I knew some kids who got hit by a drunk driver, and that encouraged me to bring more awareness to the situation. To prepare myself for this job, I had to be more compassionate,” said MADD State Program Specialist Jennifer Hamilton.

Overall, the fair was a great experience for students preparing to go into the working world. It not only offered tons of information but advice and insight as well. Many of the people in attendance walked out with a more confident and inspired look at their future careers.