Which Study Habits Work Best For OHS Students?

Many students at Osbourn enjoy spending their time with friends just by being in class in general. However, there are times when the fun and games end and the dreaded activity becomes a reality…studying! Being able to study for an exam or quiz is something that a lot of students are capable of doing, and everyone has their own style and manner of studying as well. 

So, what are those study habits and things that OHS students do to help them prepare for exams and quizzes?

Keven Augilar, a sophomore, uses several basic techniques.  “I look at notes or I watch online videos, or if we get a textbook, I use that to study as well. I sometimes ask my family and friends to ask me questions on the subject I’m studying.”

It’s scientifically proven that writing things down helps you remember them a lot better than just hearing or seeing them. By writing information down, you are repeating the information in a way that makes sure your brain can remember it better. On top of that, reviewing your notes, in general, can help make the studying process easier.

However, studying for some students has been proven a challenge, and there are times when it’s easy to lose sight or focus of what you need to do.

Sophomore Alondra Marquez said “I definitely get distracted really easily when I’m trying to study. I get distracted with my phone often because it’s sitting right there, and it’s really tempting to just pick it up.”

When focusing on work or when you are studying a subject, students often like to listen to music, as it helps them focus at times. A lot of students have headphones or earbuds on all the time, and because of that, it’s easy to assume that they listen to music whenever they do just about anything. 

“I listen to music every single time I study. There isn’t a specific genre I listen to, I don’t think any of them affect the way I study unless they put me in a sad mood. Then I’ll probably not want to study anymore, and I’ll lose motivation,” Marquez explained.

The way one studies and just interacts with work, in general, is also a determining factor in seeing how one can retain the information they’re trying to study.

Having a positive work ethic and attitude while studying is a great way to increase your motivation and your work drive. Set goals for yourself and pace yourself when working to be able to manage your studying in chunks. If time allows it, then make sure to spread out the work evenly and to take breaks, so as to not over-exert yourself.

Of course, the most obvious technique is to just review notes and what the teacher says in class. Aguilar had a great point when suggesting the idea of watching videos online on your subject, or looking at your notes and paying attention in class to understand those notes later.

Spend more than 30 minutes studying so that the information can stick in your head longer. Also, ask questions and ask your teacher for help if you can’t understand something.

Of course, the most important part of studying is consistency and making sure you review your notes and study regularly to make sure you can retain the information.

Sophomore Laura Diaz makes sure that studying is done diligently, but her schedule sometimes impacts it.  “I like to try to study twice a week, whenever I can, but sometimes I’ll be too busy with track and I get home too late and it isn’t easy to fit into my schedule. But when I do study, I rewrite what I learned and highlight the important stuff,” Diaz explained.

Studying is mainly just a habit and one that can help you in the long run if you just stick to some simple tips. Review a lot, take plenty of notes in class, make sure to study for at least 10-30 minutes per day, and most importantly, take breaks and check on yourself to see how you’re doing. Schoolwork may be important, but it’s not as important as your health and well-being.