Thoughts about Scheduling Changes for 2021

Leila Hogan, Writer

The school system is listening to the students and teachers allowing them to state an opinion on whether next year we should have seven periods or just keep it at eight periods. There are pros and cons to both of these ideas. Students are basing their opinions on how it can help everyone.

“[I prefer the] seven block, because it gives room for studying,” said freshman Sebastian Steinbach. 

“ I would like to go to the seven class,” said history and government teacher Jessica Yankovitz.

Some prefer the seven periods while others prefer to keep it the same. 

“I prefer the scheduling that we have now because I feel like it’s a better fit and it gives us more time in school to be productive,” said junior Destiny Taylor. 

“I find the current schedule has more advantages in terms of getting work done,” said sophomore Amanda Hurley.

Many kids think that having an extra period for studying is not beneficial. 

“I think that the schedule we have now is going to be better off because we aren’t going to have this extra class to do nothing… Like kids don’t advantage of the ELT time that we have now, would they really take advantage of it if we had more of it,” said Taylor. Next year if there are seven periods instead of eight periods this could possibly be beneficial towards extracurriculars, as to more students joining. 

“Maybe [the seven periods would help], because then they would have a dedicated hour for studying that way they wouldn’t have to worry about getting home and doing their homework, said Steinbach.

While others think that it will make no change. 

“I don’t know, I think if you aren’t doing after-school activities with this schedule a new schedule won’t make you want to do more after-school activities,” said Hurley.

The schedule change also affects teachers with planning and grading. 

“[The seven-period schedule] tends to have a bit of help because there is a block dedicated for that 7, there is one less class grading for,” said economics and accounting teacher Bryant Cornetta. 

“I think it will allow teachers more time for activities like planning and grading,” said Yankovitz. Teachers also think about how it will affect the students as well.

“[It will help students because] they don’t have to have all 8 classes, they have to focus on the classes that they do have,” said Cornetta. 

“ I think 8 classes is hard, especially those who are taking more advanced classes, and I think it still leaves plenty of room for all graduation requirements,” said Yankovitz. Whatever happens next year with the schedule change, will hopefully not be a struggle for students and teachers.