Shooting at Denny’s

Chris Hernandez-Figueroa, Writer

On December 26 two men entered the Denny’s in Manassas. They shot and killed a food delivery driver and injured another customer eating there.

“It’s kind of scary because it is in our area, it made me pretty upset that it happened where I grew up,” said senior Alishea Landsdown. 

Police said that the pair entered the restaurant around 2:25am and demanded money, cell phones, and wallets from employees and customers at the restaurant. As they fled they shot two men.

“The shooting at Denny’s made me feel very scared because I used to go eat there a lot and now I don’t,“ said sophomore Darwin Posada Constanza.

Based on the evidence collected at the scene, detectives identified the gunman as Jordan Anderson. He was charged with one count of murder, one count of malicious wounding, and two counts of using a firearm in commission of a felony. 

“I’m not scared because I know that no matter where you go there is a chance that something like that could happen, but I do have my guard up more when I am in public,” said Landsdown.

The second robbery suspect Ryan Thomas Walker,age 22, was taken into custody. Walker is charged with one count of murder, one count of malicious wounding, and one count of robbery.  

“I’ve been noticing mass shootings more, maybe because I pay more attention to the media,“ said Landsdown.

A GoFundMe page was set up to help Ozgur’s family with his funeral, memorial, and other family expenses.  https://www.gofundme.com/f/yusuf-ozgur-killed-during-denny039s-robbery-manassas

“Honestly I’m not really scared to go out and eat but I feel like restaurants are going to be more cautious and upgrade their cameras because everyone got freaked out,” said senior Emily Leyva Ramirez.