Calas Carinval

The Calas girls deliver a night full of fun festivities.

Margie Martinez, Staff Writer

A cultural experience, with a combination of different activities, took place here at Osbourn. The event was planned and sought out by the girls in the Calas club. 

“The idea began last year. Spanish teacher, Sra. Flores thought there should be help for the Latina girls that still aren’t doing well with their English. We wanted to help all the upcoming freshman girls that have that language barrier feel better and open up and it turned into a family,” said junior Tanya Flores. 

The event took a lot of planning and effort, but in the end, it all came together. 

“We planned a movie night with many activities and food. We wanted people to come together and enjoy the festivities. Most of the activities were for the kids we tutored before, the funds of the night would go to them. We will also use the funds to help out our community,” said Flores. 

The event was working towards a good motive that was intended to help others out.

“Our goal was to raise money to buy supplies for our kids for their tutoring. We wanted to help them out and we succeeded,” said junior Cynthia Maldonado. 

The Carnaval consisted of many things to keep the guest busy. 

“I think that the guest enjoyed the music the most, it was super diverse. Some people were also enjoying the fact that they could learn how to dance Hispanic music without being judged,” said Flores. 

There was a large amount of unity. Everyone came together to enjoy what the Calas girls put together.

“As I looked around I saw a lot of people smiling and dancing. A Lot of people got to try the food that we had since they have never had it before. It was a great experience to be a part of all of this. At first, I was kind of nervous about how it would all turn out, but I was so happy when I saw the impact that we had on everyone,” said Maldanado. 

This was the first time that the Calas girls had put something together and they wanted to do it in a way that would leave an imprint.

“I want to achieve knowing that I made an impact on someone’s life, and knowing that they will impact someone else’s life in a positive way it will become a chain and that I will help them know that they have a voice and they can be heard. They have the power to empower others and transform someone’s life. They can change what they think should be changed. They will get paid back by seeing people smile,” said Flores. 

The event and the club would have never seen daylight if it wasn’t for their mentor.

“ What inspires me to continue trying to make the group grow and prosper is my mentor Sra. Flores. She is the reason the group was created. She saw something in us that no one could see. She helped us open up and not be shy around each other. She inspired me to take a stance and help out the community and help spread cultural awareness and diversity,” said Flores. 

With this being the first of many events the girls would still like to learn from this experience to make the next one better. 

“It was kind of stressful to get it all together and it took some time but the best part was being able to share a moment with the people I care about in my community,” said Maldanado.