Varsity Football Falls to Potomac in First Home Game of the Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Laura Skaggs

Laura Skaggs

Laura Skaggs

Terrance Luangrath, Editor

On Sept. 6, the varsity football team had their first home football game against Potomac High School. For the first home game, the stadium was full of fans cheering on the football team. At the same time having support from many students, parents, families, and alumni.  

“Very exciting. The student section was completely full and everyone was so supportive of our team. It was a lot of fun and I can’t wait for the next game!” said senior Blair Rubach 

“It was exciting when they scored points,” said senior Megan Reed. 

Before the game started, the cheerleaders and marching band were lined up to make a tunnel for the football players to run through. At the blast of the cannon, the football team was running through the tunnel while the cheerleaders were cheering, and the marching band playing the OHS Fight Song. 

When I hear that cannon blast, it surprises me every time, but I enjoy seeing the team running through the banner. I feel it was the coolest thing to see at the game,” said sophomore Denese Ventura. 

At the beginning of the game, Potomac won the coin toss, and they were first with the ball. The match was even. Both teams have not scored on each other yet. Each team and each player prevented the ball to touch either end zone. 

I definitely felt like we look better this year than last year. Overall, the offense has improved.” said junior Anney Chakarvorty

At halftime, the OHS Screaming Eagle Marching Band went onto the field to perform their first halftime shows. Their show is called Renegade featuring music like “Renegade” by Styx, “Creep” by Radiohead, and “Uprising” by Muse. 

“I feel that the marching band did amazing for our first performance. I’m also very proud of everyone because we all did our best,” said junior Rigoberto Rivera-Reyes. 

Near the end of the game, the score was 21-13 with Osbourn with 13 and Potomac with 21. The game ended with a loss, but it was a big improvement from last year. The OHS Football team has been improving and will continue improving. 

“The team is young, full of sophomores and freshmen. Potential wise this is the best team that I’ve played with throughout my high school experience,” said senior Chance Hollingsworth.