Osbourn Goes Eco-Friendly

Back to Article
Back to Article

Osbourn Goes Eco-Friendly

Senior Jeffrey Galan posing with his Hydro Flask

Fredy Alberto, Tomas Mendez

Fredy Alberto, Tomas Mendez

Fredy Alberto, Tomas Mendez

Clara Hernandez-Figueroa, Writer

The school installed water bottle filling stations across the school last year. Since then, the amount of reusable water bottles that students bring to school has risen. 

“I started bringing my water bottle last year when they installed the new stations, I bring it frequently now. I enjoy the water stations,” said sophomore Geymi Sanchez. 

Schools across America have been installing water bottle filling stations to become more eco-friendly. 

“When I use my Hydro Flask it feels like I am helping out the planet. It is kind of like the metal straw trend,” said freshman Emily Keys.  

A Hydro Flask is a brand of refillable water bottle that is trending among teens. Planet conscious trends have been going around, like the metal straw trend to reduce the amount of straws that end up in our oceans. 

“I use my own refillable water bottle to save myself from killing the whales,” said security officer Rich McCleskey.

Over one million marine animals are killed each year due to plastic debris in the ocean. 

“The school should stop selling plastic bottled water and should start selling reusable bottles because all that plastic ends up in the ocean,” said McCleskey.

There are approximately over 100 million tons of plastic in the world’s oceans around the world.

‘’It’s a lot easier to fill up our water bottles now that we have water fountains meant for it and I like how we don’t have to use so many plastic water bottles,” said senior Lesley Portillo.