COVID Conundrums

COVID Conundrums

Radwan Khan, Writer/Editor

COVID-19 has been prominent in the news since 2019 and has been making even more headway after it’s new mutation.

The Omicron was first found in South Africa on November 21, 2021. Omicron is more contagious than SARS-CoV-2; however, it is not as deadly. Despite this, vaccines are still one of the most effective measures against COVID and all its variants.

“I would strongly recommend that anyone who hasn’t gotten the vaccine get it because it’s the right thing to do,” junior Omar Ochoa said. “By getting the vaccine they can help protect others and protect themselves. The vaccine is also safe so there isn’t anything to worry about.”

As COVID cases surge due to the Omicron variant; there is a high chance it might affect schools.

“I think [Omicron] will have a major impact on schools depending on the areas they’re surrounded in,” senior Karla Tista said. “If they’re in areas that are affected by COVID the most, schools would most likely shut down for them again.”

There was a state legislature bill passed that requires schools to do in-person learning and online learning is not considered “real time.” However, there is an exception when there are high rates of COVID going around or opting into a virtual environment. In worrying amounts of covid transmission there will be about a two week temporary shut down to lower the rates of transmission.

Tista supports this because “Taking a two week temporary shut down is very much necessary [because] it gives everyone time to settle down again and also gives teachers enough time to prepare their materials and figure out a way to have their class be a class where students can interact,” Tista said. “Schools can use that time to figure out the rest of the year to ensure both students and teachers are comfortable and have a device to learn on and make sure nobody gets left behind.”

In-person learning is the preferred choice of learning for sophomore Flor Esquivel as she was able to “[learn] more”; additionally, it is “a lot easier [for her] to pay attention.”

“I have less distractions at school, and I also feel more motivated to complete my assignments. It is also easier to ask questions and get help from your teacher,” Esquivel said.

Ochoa agrees with Esquivel.

“Getting distracted was very easy in virtual and you had a lot more freedom which wasn’t necessarily a good thing. Being in school allows students to focus more and get distracted less,” Ochoa said.