Donda vs. Certified Lover Boy

Matthew Beach, Writer

This year, despite the Covid-19 rules and regulations keeping artists from performing their shows at live concerts and events, a multitude of titans in the music industry have released their albums to critical and commercial acclaim, with many more to come. Drake, who was recently named the number one artist of the decade by Billboard, released his sixth studio album, Certified Lover Boy. The album follows his 2018 studio album Scorpion, and it runs 21 tracks long. He opens the album beautifully with “Champagne Poetry,” a song about the ups and downs of his career. The track chosen as the lead single from the project is the club anthem “Way 2 Sexy,” now Drake’s ninth number one song on the Billboard Hot 100. Other songs on the album that stand out include the maniacal “Knife Talk,” with 21 Savage and Project Pat, as well as “7am On the Bridal Path,” which is ironically targeted at Kanye West. Speaking of the devil, Kanye released his gospel infused tenth studio album, Donda, weeks before Drake’s Certified Lover Boy. Donda comes together as his longest project at 27 tracks. It is also claimed by the rapper to be released by his record label (Universal Music Group) without his permission. The roaring fifth track “Hurricane” with The Weeknd is the album’s chosen lead single, although lacking an accompanying music video. It is also the highest charting song from Donda, peaking at number six. “Off the Grid” might reach what its title suggests, flying high and hard. “Ok Ok” featuring Lil Yachty and Rooga comes across as a standout on the album, along with the religious “Praise God” with Travis Scott and Baby Keem. A survey was done to the students at Osbourn High School of which album was preferred over the other, and surprisingly, Donda came out on top with over 130 votes, despite selling less copies and receiving worse reviews than Certified Lover Boy, who earned 110 votes.

Statistics

137.5 – Donda 

112.5 – Certified Lover Boy

Roughly 251 interviewed

Certified Lover Boy                                                           Donda

• 613,000 physical copies sold                                              37,000 physical copies sold 
  • 744 million combined streams                                               775 million combined streams
  • Metacritic Score: 61                                                             Metacritic Score: 53
  • Peak on Billboard – #1 (3 weeks at #1)                               Peak on Billboard – #1 (1 week at #1)

Certified Lover Boy

Broke the record for most top ten hits on one album,  having nine songs debut in the top ten                                         

Donda

Earned the most first day streams for any album of 2021 on Spotify,  with approximately 100 million