To Vax or Not to Vax, That is the Question

Radwan Khan, Writer

COVID-19 has been making headlines ever since the first reported case in 2019 and there has been a race against time to make the vaccine since then. In just over a year, companies like Pfizer & BioNTech, AstraZeneca and Moderna were able to hastily make and start the distribution process of vaccines. The vaccine also allows many countries to get vaccinated to prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, the time they took to create the vaccine does cause a few concerns, when it would have usually taken 10-15 years to make a vaccine.

I still feel a little sketched out since it was made in a rush,” junior Amir Malikzada said. “I wish they took more time, because I feel like it woulda been more effective that way.

But, this does not change the fact that Malikzada believes that the vaccine stops the spread of COVID-19 and helps the school stay safe. 

“I don’t think [the vaccine is] going to…end the world or whatever. I know a lot of people be like ‘oh my god, vaccines are bad,’” senior Erick Calderon said. “Like it’s not gonna cause an end of the world scene or whatever. That’s what I think, I mean it’s just a vaccine, it’s modern medicine.”

Junior Jamil Reyes also trusts the COVID-19 vaccine because of what “many government research officials and medical universities said about them.”

Quarantine was a tough time for all students when Virginia went into lockdown from COVID-19 in early spring. However, restrictions loosened up a few months later. Though the delta variant of COVID-19 has caused Governor Ralph Northam to instate a mandate for masks to be required in all Virginia K-12 schools, this could be a foreshadowing of another lockdown. 

“It would suck if we had to go back to quarantine and the reason why I say that is cause I’m a senior, this is my last year and I don’t want this, like I don’t want to go through another online problem again. Like it’s going to be really complicated,” Calderon said. “It would be worse because it was hard logging into some assignments…online so it would be a pain doing that again especially in my senior year.”

Going through quarantine again due to the spike in the delta variant of COVID-19 would not be a good thing. Reyes believes that the vaccine should be required for all students.

“I believe it should be mandatory for all students because we should not only look out for our own personal well-being but of our peers and teachers as well,” Reyes said.

Even if the vaccine was required, junior Daisy Maldonado recommends it.

“It’s something that will be beneficial for you and for others to help control the spread and decrease hospitalization,” Maldonado said.